- Lot of information that the Navy of the Republic of Indonesia (ALRI) never had a light cruiser (light cruiser class) namely KRI Irian hull number 201 as one of the mainstays that was held in a military campaign to seize back the West Irian (Papua searang) of power Netherlands. KRI Irian at that time was the biggest ship in the Asian region.
- Until now there has been no country in Southeast Asia never had a cruiser than Indonesia. The legendary cruiser is KRI Irian, the Indonesian government deliberately brought in liberation of West Irian (Papua).
- Starting from modernizing weapons systems that pioneered Maj. AH Nasution (Alm) (at that time as Minister for defense / Kasab) since 1957 to the United States to apply for a loan for the purchase of defense equipment, cold response, however, the group went to Moscow with the same intention. In the land of Red Bear proposals are approved. With the warming of relations between Indonesia and the Netherlands over West Irian issue, then in early 1960, Nikita Khrushchev visited Jakarta and approve the purchase agreement line of defense equipment from the Soviet Union on the basis of long-term loans.
- KRI Irian was Sverdlov class cruiser with the naming code soviet Project 68-bis. This type of ship is the last ship of conventional explorers made to the Soviet Navy, 13 vessels completed before Nikita Khrushchev to stop this program because the ship was considered old-fashioned kind with the advent of missiles (guided missiles).
- As a maritime nation, we should already have a capable navy. Not just talking about the quality and quantity of weapons, but it is fitting we have a arsenal of weaponry that can vibrate the guts opponent. This is the first so proud of Indonesia in the era of the 60s. In addition to a fleet of the strongest air force in Southeast Asia, Navy (TNI-AL) when his type warship that has artificial light cruiser Soviet Union.
- Ships of this type is the development and a larger version of Chapayev class cruiser. Resemblance to ship KRI Irian Chapayev class is on the main weapon, machining, and side protection. While the difference lies in the capacity more fuel for more mileage, wholly welded hull, underwater protection better, anti-aircraft artillery and radar better better anyway.
History KRI Irian
- Ship KRI Irian formerly Ordzhonikidze (Орджоникидзе) (Object 055) from the Baltic fleet purchased by the Indonesian government in 1962. Currently it is the largest ship KRI Irian southern hemisphere. This vessel is actively used for the preparation of West Irian.
- This ship was made at the Admiralty Yard, Leningrad. The first keel laying took place on October 9, 1949, the ship was launched on 17 September 1950, and the first time the ship operated on June 30, 1952.
Preparation Operation in Indonesia
- On January 11, 1961 the Soviet government began to issue instructions to the Central Design Bureau # 17 to modify the order Ordzhonikidze ideal operating in the tropics. Large-scale modernization done to make this ship can operate at a temperature of +40 ° C, humidity 95%, and a water temperature of +30 ° C.
- But representatives of the Indonesian Navy who then visited the city Baltiisk stated that they were not able to bear the cost of such a project. Modernization eventually transferred to the installation of a more powerful diesel generators to drive additional ventilator.
- On February 14, 1961 the ship arrived in Sevastopol and on 5 April 1962 this ship begin sea trials. At that time the Indonesian crew of this ship has been formed and there on the boat. This boat mechanic Mr Yatijan, later became head of the Department of the Navy Engineering. So are a lot of other sailors, at a later date that is able to occupy many important positions.
- Come to Surabaya on August 5, 1962 and was declared out of the official Soviet Navy on January 24, 1963. The Soviet Union never sold ships with this heavy weight to other countries except for Indonesia. Navy of the Republic of Indonesia who had never previously had their own fleet, learn to operate the ships sophisticated and expensive it by trial and error / trial and error.
- In November 1962 recorded a diesel submarine damaged due to collision when rising to the surface, a destroyer damaged and 3 of 6 KRI Irian broken boiler. Hot temperatures and high humidity negative effect on the Navy fleet, resulting in a lot of equipment that can not operate optimally. On the other hand, the presence of these vessels make the Dutch Navy drastically reduce its presence in the waters of West Irian.
- In 1964 the explorer ship has completely lost its operational efficiency and decided to send KRI Irian to Vladivostok for repairs. At KRI Irian until March 1964 in Plant Dalzavod. Soviet sailors and technicians were surprised to see the condition of the ship and many small improvements that should have been done by the crew was not done. They are also interested in the slight modifications made to the Navy clothing change room into a prayer room (something which may not happen in a communist country).
- After the repair was completed in August 1964 with an escort boat to Surabaya Soviet Navy Destroyer. A year later (1965) a change of government. Practical government authority in the hands of Suharto. Suharto attention to the Navy is very different than Sukarno. The ship was allowed to lie fallow in Surabaya, sometimes used as a prison for political opponents of Suharto.
There are several versions about the history of KRI Irian after the G-30:
- The first version says that in 1970, KRI Irian was so badly neglected until it begins to fill with water. No one cared to save these Ship Explorers. So at the time served as a Navy Chief Admiral Sudomo, the KRI Irian was scrapined in Taiwan in 1972 by reason of a chronic shortage of component parts.
- The second version, according Hendro Subroto, warships made just four of these are sold to Japan after the stripped down its weapons. "Whereas in Tanjung Priok there are two parts warehouses. But because of previous treatments handled the Russians, after Gestapu, we do not have engineers anymore," said Hendro.
>Common Characteristics :
- Weight: 13,600 T standard, 16,640 full load T
- Length: 210 m overall, 205 m waterline
- Width: 22 m
- Draft: 6.9 m
>Protective armor :
- The main armored belt: 100 mm
- Stern: 32 mm
- Deck: 50 mm
- House deck: 130 mm
- The main cannon shell: 175 mm
- Air Search Radar Gyus-2
- Ryf sea surface search radar
- Neptun radar navigation
- Tamir-5N mounted in hull
- Machta ECM (Electronic Counter Measures)
>Artillery KRI Irian :
- The main weapon is the fruit of the KRI Irian 4 turret, where each turret contains 3 cannon measuring 6 inches. For a total of 6-inch 12-caliber guns on the deck.
- Torpedo Tubes 10 anti-submarine caliber 533 mm
- 12 Fruit Cannon type 57 cal B-38 Caliber 15.2 cm (6 front, 6 Rear)
- 12 Fruit double Cannon type 56 cal Model 1934 6 (twin)-SM 5-1 mounts Caliber 10 cm
- 32 Fruit canon multi function caliber 3.7 cm
- 4 Fruit triple Mk5-bis turrets gun caliber 20 mm (for the purposes of anti-air attack)
- As the driving force, KRI Irian 2 pieces rely on TB-72 steam turbine receiving steam supply of 6 units Boilers KV-68 and routed through a 2 piece shaft.
- Total power available is about 110,000 to 122,000 hp hp on both shafts, power is capable of making 13,600 tons this ship reaches a maximum speed of 32.5 knots. While the maximum distance that can be traveled is 9000 nautical miles at a constant speed of 18 knots.
>Number of crew
- The ship can accommodate 1,270 crew members, including:
- 60 officers,
- 75 officer supervisors,
- 154 first officer.
- Star crew got Sakti is the Vice Lieutenant Sukardi, started checking the time while the ship boiler provides training to its members, while turning turbo ventilator loud explosion as steam pipeline rupture. The explosion resulted in injury to the Vice Lieutenant Sukardi along Corporal M Hitipeuw and J. Seaman Two Biama, last for two days in intensive care at the Naval Hospital in Jakarta. Lieutenant Sukardi maid died. Furthermore Milky Star award is given to his heirs in 1966.
>Officers who had served in the KRI Irian was:
- Former Commander of the TNI and Menkopolkam in the United Indonesia Cabinet, Admiral (ret) Widodo AS then served as Weapons Officer in 1968.
- Dr.. Tarmizi Taher, former Minister of Religious Affairs in the Development Cabinet VI, as Health Officer in KRI Irian.
- Dr.. Kartono Mohamad, older brother of Gunawan Mohamad, founder of Tempo magazine. He had been a doctor in the KRI Irian during duty in the Navy (1964-1975).